WASP-HS Graduate School
The aim of the WASP-HS Graduate School is to contribute to the diversity and inclusion of AI-related expertise and, as such, strengthen Sweden’s and Europe’s much-needed understanding of the challenges and consequences of autonomous systems and AI in society.
The Graduate School complements existing PhD programs by contributing to a wide interdisciplinary competence in humanities and social sciences and its relation to AI and autonomous systems. A goal is to train future researchers to the highest international standards by providing integrated training in philosophy, social science, policy research, organizational science, psychology, and other humanities and social science disciplines. The program puts light on the interdependence of AI technologies and human activity, ranging from face-face interaction, through groups, corporate agents, and communities up to society. Technology impacts human activity differently at each level but there are also common aspects that can be studied at each level. Questions, including how an understanding of humans can be incorporated into the design of AI systems? What are the consequences of AI technologies at each level?
With this being said, the Graduate School builds the foundation for future groundbreaking research and will establish a modern cutting edge basis for the following:
- Studying the consequences of AI and autonomous systems
- How humanities and social sciences can inform research in AI and autonomous systems
- How AI techniques can be used to advance the humanities and social sciences
In order to archieve the aims and goals of the WASP-HS Graduate School, the school will contribute to the following:
- Building a community where the PhD Students can learn from each other and support each other through their PhD studies as well as during their continued careers by means of alumni activities.
- Providing courses and other activities that will establish a common ground which will allow the exchange of ideas, problem formulations, and solutions between the students.
- Providing an overview of the relevant fields in the humanities and social sciences as well as understanding and some technical competence in AI and autonomous systems.
- Ensuring that students develop practical research skills.
The Graduate School takes a cohort-based approach, bringing together students from a wide variety of backgrounds in interdisciplinary teams to address real problems taking account of the individual, societal, and ethical implications. Several PhD positions adhered to WASP-HS are announced at several Swedish universities each year. Stay up to date on how you can be a part of the WASP-HS Graduate School by checking our currently open calls.